- Certified Holistic Health Coach since 2011
- Educated (and consistently re-educating myself) on dietary theories and nutrition trends
- Blogger at FeedYourHeadBlog.com and AshevilleFitSpine.com
- Specialty in food sensitivity, cooking, and sugar addiction
- Certified Personal Trainer since 2005
- Functional Movement Screen Certified
- 10 + years experience in food service industry
- Addicted to hobbies (knitting, reading, cooking, crafts)
- Lifelong love of music and art
- Devastating sense of humor
- The Clifs at Walnut Cove (Asheville, NC)
- Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe (Asheville, NC)
- Greenlife Grocery (Asheville, NC)
Insider Wellness (formerly Pure Living Strength and Nutrition) est. January 2011
Sole Proprietor, Holistic Health Coach, Certified Personal Trainer
- Health Coaching and education in one-on-one and group formats
- Grocery store tours
- Cooking lessons
- Weekly preparation and delivery of vegan, gluten free meals (for one client)
- Workshops and classes on sugar addiction, energy levels and lifestyle changes
- Continuing education in nutrition science, dietary theory and fitness trends
Asheville Family Fitness and Physical Therapy Asheville, NC 2012-present
- The Basics of Healthy Eating - four-week series outlining everything you need to know to move toward a healthier life
- Group Health Coaching
- Guided Cleanse Program
- Weekly Blogging - you can see my work at AshevilleFitSpine.com
- Fitness classes
Helios Warriors 2011-2012
Helios Warriors provides affordable, holistic healthcare to veterans. I volunteered there for a time, providing health coaching for the vets. Most of them had health concerns that were way beyond my scope - many lived in a shelter, and they ALL had mental health issues, including PTSD, depression and anxiety. I used this opportunity to practice setting boundaries and sticking to what I know, and was always able to find some common ground.
One client came to me with debilitating fibromyalgia - she was in a wheelchair when we met. By our fourth session, she was walking every day, eating more vegetables and smiling all the time.
To this day, my experience at Helios is the most challenging, gratifying work I've ever done.
Healthworks Fitness Centers for Women (Boston, MA) 2006 - 2010
Certified Personal Trainer, Level II (that's a good thing)
- Full-time trainer for four straight years (dawn to dusk)
- One-on-one and small group training
- Developed my specialty of perfect form, body awareness, and getting women to do proper push-ups
- Numerous continuing education courses
- Unparalleled mentorship and collaboration with other trainers
Boston Sports Clubs (Cambridge, MA) 2004-2006
Certified Personal Trainer
This was my first fitness job. I obtained my NASM certification here, which I still carry today. These two years can be summed up in two words: learning curve. I had no idea that being a successful trainer also meant managing a small business - even if you were employed by an existing gym.
I also had no idea that what you learn in a book doesn't necessarily translate into training a client. It was here that I learned how to work with people, how to overcome obstacles, and how to design safe and interesting programs.
My very first client suffered from Multiple Sclerosis. Working with her taught me that every body is different, and how to adapt to those differences.
BUT BEFORE ALL THAT...
I worked in the restaurant business for over ten years. That's right - before I became a greens evangelist, I served up all-you-can-eat fried mozzarella and cheesecake as big as your head.
Say what you will about the service industry - I wouldn't trade that experience for a lifetime supply of olives (I like olives). It was there that I learned the value of eye contact, and how a few kind words can make or break someone else's day. My coworkers taught me that irreverance is the spice of life, and that the best server in the world won't make money if they lack personality.
I also learned how to make a killer Bloody Mary.
I received my training as a Health Coach from the Institute for Integrative Nutrition's cutting-edge Health Coach Training Program.
During my training, I studied over 100 dietary theories, practical lifestyle management techniques, and innovative coaching methods with some of the world’s top health and wellness experts. My teachers included Dr. Andrew Weil, Director of the Arizona Center for Integrative Medicine; Dr. Deepak Chopra, leader in the field of mind-body medicine; Dr. David Katz, Director of Yale University’s Prevention Research Center; Dr. Walter Willett, Chair of Nutrition at Harvard University; Geneen Roth, bestselling author and expert on emotional eating; and many other leading researchers and nutrition authorities.
My education has equipped me with extensive knowledge in holistic nutrition, health coaching, and preventive health. Drawing on these skills and my knowledge of different dietary theories, I work with clients to help them make lifestyle changes that produce real and lasting results.